Thursday, October 9, 2014

There's Laziness Behind All That Hard Work

By Kelly Sinon

  I'm trying to make it a habit to get one household chore done every evening, after work. I like a clean house and a tidy yard. I also like doing nothing on weekends.
  For instance, yesterday, I mowed the front and back yards, and used the leaf blower to annoy my neighbors, right before the dinner hour ...I mean, clear newly fallen autumn leaves from the driveway.
   I only felt slightly guilty about picking up Take & Bake pizzas for dinner on my way home. No, there wasn't enough time in my evening to do yard work, make a balanced meal and flop into the patio chair of my choice, while reading Real Simple (Okay, fine. Cosmopolitan.) magazine on my tablet.
   Tonight, it's laundry, as I make baked Panko crusted pork chops and stuffing (as I finish reading Real Simple magazine (Cosmopolitan) on my tablet.
  We're all products of our upbringing, and this apparently, was my take away.
   I'm going to quote my father, who might sound like he's channeling 1955 when he asked my mother what she did around the house all day.
  "It's not like you have to watch the clothes go around and around."
(My husband had better start running after a line delivered like that.)
   In Dad's defense, he couldn't understand why one load of laundry seemed to require strict supervision as it made the journey from the bottom of the dryer, to the top, to the bottom, to the top...you get the idea.
  It's the best of both worlds; I can multi-task. I'm not great at a lot of things, but that is one thing at which I am very adept. Especially, when it includes reading at the same time I'm doing anything.
  "But Kelly," you may ask, "Why are you mowing the lawn, when you have such an amazing husband?"
  Frankly, my answer depends on the day you ask me.
  One day, I may say, "Because I really like being outside in the early evenings to unwind, and sometimes, I have a hard time being still, so I get to be productive and be outside. Win/Win."
  Another day, I may say," I don't need no man to do my work." (with snapping of fingers for emphasis.)
  Of course, the next time the question is posed, it may go like this, "That's a very good question, but If I waited for him to mow the @!%&-ing lawn...(insert diatribe here)."
  The beauty of this, is that all of those reasons are true.
  He's probably thoroughly confused.
  So tonight, as my hands... and pork chops are crusted in Panko, and I'm skimming Real Cosmo, I'll take multi-taking to Olympian levels, by thinking of what I can do Monday night. Did I mention that Friday night is the start of my Weekend of Nothing?______________________________________________________________________

Kelly Sinon can be reached at sksinon@aol.com. 
You may also find her in her favorite patio chair, mowing lawns, binge cleaning bathrooms, and basically just waiting for Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment